Friday, September 24, 2010

Using the Current Cost ENVI to hunt down faulty appliances

We received the following email from Scott today - this is unedited:

"I also want to give the Envi power meter a huge thumbs up. My house has been chewing through the power (average 30kwh/day) and I’ve been scratching my head trying to work out why. We don’t have a pool, we have a heat pump hot water system, we have low wattage bulbs, insulation in the roof, we hardly ever use the dryer or split airco.

By installing the ENVI power meter I was able to find out that the heat pump hot water system was running for a while then overheating. As a failsafe “feature” the heat pump then uses an electric boost to heat the water to temp. Imagine my surprise when the meter went from 1kw (compressor) to 3kw (boost). There is no obvious sign that there is a fault and has probably been happening since install going off my power bills. I can’t wait to see how much I’ll save on the next power bill now that the heat pump is fixed. With the ENVI I’ll be able to keep a close eye on it in the future. It’s well and truly paid for itself in the first month (and then some)."

No comments:

Post a Comment